teaandtomes

Tea & Tomes

Reviews, Rantings, Book Memes and More!

55 Reading Questions

Alanna: The First Adventure - Tamora Pierce Graceling - Kristin Cashore The Selection  - Kiera Cass The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight - Jennifer E. Smith Shatter Me  - Tahereh Mafi Lola and the Boy Next Door - Stephanie Perkins War and Peace - Larissa Volokhonsky, Richard Pevear, Leo Tolstoy Survival Songs - Meggie Royer The Knife of Never Letting Go  - Patrick Ness Maus: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History  - Art Spiegelman

1. Favorite childhood book?

When I was younger I was in love with the Song of the Lioness Quartet by Tamora Pierce! (Still am)

2. What are you reading right now?

Currently reading Graceling by Kristin Cashore

3. What books do you have on request at the library?

None! Unfortunately I've fallen out of the habit of using my public library. I mostly buy books.

4. Bad book habit?

Getting halfway through a book, leaving it for a while, forgetting what's happened so far and having to reread it from the start. I DO THIS TOOO OFTEN.

5. What do you currently have checked out at the library?

Again, nothing. Haven't been using libraries.

6. Do you have an e-reader?

Nope! I'm a physical book only sort of gal.

7. Do you prefer to read one book at a time, or several at once?

I read much better when going one book at a time, however I have the habit of getting into up to five or six at once and then not finishing any of them.

8. Have your reading habits changed since starting a blog?

Not really! I've been influenced to buy certain books I wouldn't have otherwise from seeing them around the blog world, but this usually ends up being a good thing!

9. Least favourite book you read this year (so far)?

It is only the start of April, and so far I haven't read any truly bad books. I did recently start Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry and have had some major problems with it.

10. Favorite book you’ve read this year?

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe! This book is AMAZING.(Honorable mention to The 5th Wave and 17&Gone)

11. How often do you read out of your comfort zone?
Hard to say. Most books are in my comfort zone :P I like fiction, nonfiction, YA, adult, scifi, contemporary, thriller, historical, memoir, poetry, fantasy, fairytale, classics. I'm willing to try anything.

12. What is your reading comfort zone?

As mentioned above, my fancy is easily tickled.

13. Can you read on the bus?

I get carsick when reading in vehicles :'(

14. Favorite place to read?

With a blanket on the couch in my living room!

15. What is your policy on book lending?

I lend books to close friends sometimes, because I like being able to discuss said books. However, if it comes back later than arranged or damaged, there will be hell to pay ;)

16. Do you ever dog-ear books?

Nooooooo. I don't like pages being bent all funny.

17. Do you ever write in the margins of your books?

Not usually. At most, I will put little **'s around an amazing quote.

18. Not even with text books?

I highlight and write in text books!

19. What is your favourite language to read in?

English. I only speak English and some very rough French.

20. What makes you love a book?

If it gives me strong emotions. Of any sort.

21. What will inspire you to recommend a book?

I only recommend books that made me want to jump and dance and proclaim their greatness to the heavens. We all know that feeling.

22. Favorite genre?

NOPE NOPE can not answer toooo many favourites.

23. Genre you rarely read (but wish you did)?

I don't read as much nonfiction as I would like to. Books about science and history, in particular.

24. Favourite biography?

Maus. So very incredible.

25. Have you ever read a self-help book?

Yup! I've read books about insomnia and anxiety. The helpfulness has varied.

26. Favourite cookbook?

I don't read cookbooks! I like takeout.

27. Most inspirational book you’ve read this year (fiction or non-fiction)?

Two Boys Kissing, by David Levithan.

28. Favorite reading snack?

I don't usually eat when reading. If a book is good enough, I forget about my bodily needs such as food and drink.

29. Name a case in which hype ruined your reading experience.

Hype doesn't really do this to me. If a book is good (generally hyped up books are), I like it. However, hype has made me read a book I DID NOT like, The Knife of Never Letting Go. I was so excited about that one, then ended up giving this 2/5 stars on goodreads.

30. How often do you agree with critics about a book?

Professional critics reviews all have the same slew of phrases that they use for every book :P I'm more likely to check out popular goodreads reviews, or ask friends who have read the book.

31. How do you feel about giving bad/negative reviews?

I don't feel bad, as long as I can back of the negativity with good, strong arguments and examples. Unwarranted criticism irks me.

When I give a bad review, that is only my opinion. My take on a book could be completely different from someone else's.

32. If you could read in a foreign language, which language would you chose?

I'd love to be able to read classics in Russian or French.

33. Most intimidating book you’ve ever read?

I read more big books when I was younger, because I didn't fear them back then (why? I don't know) so this is hard to answer.

34. Most intimidating book you’re too nervous to begin?

War and Peace, by Leo Tolstoy. This leather-bound monster terrifies me.

35. Favorite Poet?

I love Meggie Royer, or writingsforwinter.tumblr.com

36. How many books do you usually have checked out of the library at any given time?

NONE GUYS I BUY ALL MY BOOKS.

37. How often have you returned books to the library unread?

URFGGGHGH.

38. Favorite fictional character?

What is that. How can I possibly answer that.

39. Favourite fictional villain?

I have a list of ten or twenty. Maybe I will make a separate post about villainy.

40. Books I’m most likely to bring on vacation?

I love fantasy novels when I'm travelling. Anything magical.

41. The longest I’ve gone without reading.

At worst, I've had a whole month where I didn't finish any books, because I was in a slump, or swamped with school work.

42. Name a book that you could/would not finish.

I don't ever officially decide not to finish books. Sometimes I put them down, but always with the intention to finish.

I give up on series frequently though. SEE THIS: series I quit on

43. What distracts you easily when you’re reading?

Noise. I need relative quiet to read.

44. Favorite film adaptation of a novel?

Pride and Prejudice (2005) is an all time favourite.

45. Most disappointing film adaptation?

OHH the Percy Jackson films. You had so much potential.

46. The most money I've ever spent in the bookstore at one time?

200$? Thereabouts.

47. How often do you skim a book before reading it?

I don't skim for fear of seeing something pivotal to the plot. I will read the first few sentences to get a feel for the writing, though!

48. What would cause you to stop reading a book half-way through?

I would only stop if a) I had to go do a thing in the real world, b) I fell asleep/had a headache or c) I took a break because I was crying and didn't want to get the pages wet (TFIOS)

49. Do you like to keep your books organized?

Yes! I organize my bookshelves by genre. I've tried doing it by color but found that while that was pretty, I didn't like splitting up series and authors.

50. Do you prefer to keep books or give them away once you’ve read them?

I keep them! I'm a re-reader.

51. Are there any books you’ve been avoiding?

Hell, there are 111 books on my goodreads "own-to-read" shelf. So I will say YES.

52. Name a book that made you angry.

Anger was felt while reading the Selection because American couldn't just pick a man. Damn it I was exasperated.

53. A book you didn’t expect to like but did?

I didn't think I would like Shatter Me, but I ended up loving it!

54. A book that you expected to like but didn’t?

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight. The cover, the title, all promising. Found the writing unbearable :'(

55. Favorite guilt-free, pleasure reading?

ANYTHING STEPHANIE PERKINS HAS WRITTEN.