teaandtomes

Tea & Tomes

Reviews, Rantings, Book Memes and More!

My April TBR!

Boy, Snow, Bird - Helen Oyeyemi Shadow and Bone - Leigh Bardugo The Girl of Fire and Thorns (Fire and Thorns #1) - Rae Carson Into the Wild - Jon Krakauer Champion: A Legend Novel - Marie Lu The Forsaken  - Lisa M. Stasse Hamlet - William Shakespeare

WARNING: I am BAD at sticking to TBR's because I'm such a mood reader.

(I'm including a link here about mood reading by perpetualpageturner!)

But these are the books I want to read, and hopefully review, in the upcoming month.

P.S Click the link to see the goodreads description.

1. Boy, Snow, Bird by Helen Oyeyemi

I was lucky enough to win this as a giveaway from goodreads.com! I'm currently about 103 pages into it, so I'm hoping to finish this soon.

For those who don't know, Helen Oyeyemi is the author of the supercalafragilisticexpialadotious book Mr. Fox which is easily in my top 5 favourites of all time. Her books have a twisted, psychological magic that sticks with you. Her writing is surreal, lyrical and beautiful. And since this is a loose fairytale retelling of Snow White, it is right up my reading alley.

2. Shadow and Bone, by Leigh Bardugo

Countless reviewers have fawned over this book, and since I am on a fantasy kick, this  magical, Russian set fantasy novel is a clear priority. This is the first in the Grisha series.

Bonus: The whole series and the novellas have excellent covers.*whispers*so pretty

3. Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson

Another fantasy, (first installment in the Fire and Thorns series), which I am about a third of the way through! Thus far I adore it (awesome main character, good intrigue and pacing), and am shipping ships left right and center. Can't wait to finish!

4. Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer

About a man who drops everything, cuts his ties to society and goes to live in the wilderness, this nonfiction biography-memoir book sounds so promising. I've been having a stressful time of late, with school and my future, and I'm hoping this book will provide some insight into what drives people to feel so trapped in our modern society. I'm intrigued to see if I agree with the ideals and beliefs presented here and I'm excited to vicariously taste the freedom.

5. Champion by Marie Lu

This is the third and final book in the Legend trilogy. I have loved the series so far, (surprisingly, Prodigy, #2 even more than Legend, #1) and I'm eagerly anticipating the finale.

Prodigy left me on such a cliffhanger, and now I don't know what to do with myself until I read this! That ending was like:

I'm not even sure what I expect tp happen anymore. BUT SO EXCITED. I LOVE DAY.

6. The Forsaken by Lisa M. Stasse

First of all, this cover is so awesome!

Second, I've been eyeing this dystopian for ages, never quite convincing myself to buy it and then it was on sale, hardcover, for $4.99!

A test that predicts violence? An island full of these would-be teenage criminals who failed the test? A hatched escape plan? 2 YEAR SURVIVAL RATE ON THE ISLAND? This book sounds action packed and just my kind of brutal.

7. Hamlet by William Shakespeare (DUH)

I recently had to read Macbeth for my AP English class, and loved it. I've hated Romeo and Juliet and Twelfth Night, so I'd sort of given up on the Bard. Now, I'm determined to read Hamlet, King Lear and Othello ASAP.I loved the psychological aspect of Macbeth and I think Shakespeare's tragedies are more my style. (Yes, I know Romeo and Juliet is technically a tragedy but WHATEVER)